Friday, February 2, 2018

Feedback Strategies

How To Give Students Specific Feedback That Actually Helps Them Learn by Justin Chando- This article really spoke to some frustrations I've had with feedback in the past. I've always hated when teachers just marked a problem wrong without saying what was wrong with it or, worse, handed back a paper with just a letter grade and not included any commentary. I had a teacher in high school who would underline parts of my essays, but not write anything by the underlined sections. I never knew if he was pointing out problems or things I did well, so I had no idea what to do when he wanted us to revise.

How to Craft Constructive Feedback- This was interesting, because I had never really thought about how different types of feedback might be needed depending on the purpose of a work or reason for showing it to someone until recently. I work in the writing center, and when I was telling one of my coworkers about the plot I'm thinking of for my novel writing class this semester, she kicked into writing assistant mode. The thing is, we work mostly on analytical paper in the writing center, and so her suggestions and questions weren't really helpful, and were just kind of annoying.

                                                             
                                                    (How to Craft Constructive Feedback)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Emily!
    I definitely agree with you about the feedback from teachers. It was always so irritating with you receive something back that was graded so vaguely, without any work put in to giving valuable feedback. That is why I kind of hated multiple choice quizzes or tests, because they would just mark it wrong, but there would never be an explanation as to why you missed it. That was especially frustrating in math. I hope that I can learn from these articles and my past experiences in order to be better at giving feedback for other people!

    ReplyDelete